Art for Art: New mural drawn by NAHS given to music department

Park View High School has just unveiled a new mural at a ribbon cutting ceremony, cut by Mrs. Jenene Sims, the assistant principal, on the morning of September,15.

The idea of a mural was brought to the art department by Mrs. Jennifer Piccolomini, another assistant principle, around two years ago as a gift to the music department. From there Ms. Kayla McCormick, the art teacher, began brainstorming and making designs with her art students. Ms. McCormick then selected a few of the best designs, which the school Administration voted on.  They selected a former student’s design, Isabelle Nolasco, who graduated last year.

Although she graduated, her design was still final and was then put into action and drawn by the members of National Art Honor Society (NAHS). They began the project towards the end of the 2016-2017 school year. “The project is very unique because it embraces all aspects of music.” Said Emily Palomo, a junior, who helped draw Nolasco’s design. The mural is a design of different musical equipment and music components elegantly drawn to represent the music department. When they finished Ms. McCormick said “I’m proud of the students for making the idea a reality.”

The mural can be found near the auditorium and is sitting atop the entrance of the music hallway.