The Student News Site of Park View High School

The View

The View

The View

Max Gonzales wins 2024 Variety Show

Park View has no lack of talent, and teachers Ashley Spalletta and Jeffery Marsh along with Park View Production planned and coordinated this year’s Variety Show. The Variety Show had 11 acts and three guest judges picked by Park View’s SCA. This year’s Variety Show was held at 7:00 PM on the 31st of January in the Park View auditorium. 

“I liked this year’s Variety Show, and it was more well put together,” said Johan Cardenas-Nuñes, 2 act Variety Show performer.

The first place holder and fan favorite award winner was Max Gonzales. Gonzales was in two acts. The first act was with the jazz band, and the second one was a solo piano performance. Gonzales’ solo performance, “Fantaisie-impromptu” by Frédéric Chopin, was played elegantly and impressed both the judges and the crowd. More impressively, he played the entire piece with no sheet music. 

“I thought I wasn’t gonna win 1st place because I couldn’t possibly win both,” said Gonzales.

This was his first year participating in the Variety Show. He chose “Fantaisie-impromptu” because it was the most difficult song he learned to play on the piano. Gonzalez also mentioned that he plans to participate in next year’s Variety Show.

Photo taken by Allison Canchanya

“I want to play something even harder,” said Gonzales.

Third place winner, Diana Mojica, performed “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. She chose the song because she likes Whitney Houston and would practice at home to prepare for the Variety Show. Diana plans to perform at the Variety Show next year with a performance that impresses the crowd again with her voice.

Taken by Allison Canchanya

“I was very proud,” said Mojica.